More Search Options
We found 0 results. View results
Your search results

Button Battery Ingestion and Kids: What You Should Know

Button cell and coin batteries are used in many types of consumer products from keyless entry remotes and wireless game controllers to toys and musical greeting cards.

These tiny batteries can burn through a child’s throat or esophagus in as little as two hours if swallowed.

Safeguard children by taking control of button cell or coin batteries.

* Keep products with accessible batteries away from children if the battery compartments do not have a screw closure to secure them.
* If the battery compartment is damaged, replace the product as soon as possible, repair or dispose of the product.
* Toys with button cell or coin batteries are required to have a secure closure requiring a screwdriver, coin, or tool to open.
* Check the toys in your home to make sure battery compartments are secured.
* Do not allow children to play with or be in contact with button cell or coin batteries.
 * Call the National Battery Ingestion Hotline (800-498-8666) or the Poison Help Line (800-222-1222) immediately for treatment information if you suspect a child has swallowed or is exposed to button cell or coin batteries.

Immediately take children who are suspected of having swallowed button cell or coin batteries to the nearest emergency department. The National Capital Poison Center recommends giving honey to children 12+ months on the way to the emergency room to reduce injury in the critical time between ingestion and when the battery can be properly removed. Do not delay going to the emergency room. Give 10mL of honey every 10 minutes only for children 12+ months who have ingested button batteries in the past 12 hours. Do not exceed six doses of honey. (

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Compare Listings